Well, I’m pretty sure every doula has a few tricks in her doula bag, so I thought I’d share a few of the treasures I stock in my bag.
- Heat bag with straps
- Click heat packs, smaller for more local pain relief
- Birth Ball
- Emergen-C – for me, for Dad, for mama, for whoever needs a little more energy.
- Gardening knee pads – these are great for use in the shower or if mama needs to be on her knees for a while.
- Massage oil – for hand and arm massages, or neck and shoulders, whatever really. It’s an unscented oil.
- Clary Sage – said to help with respiratory, muscular, and uterine body systems during the labour process. Many people believe that it also helps to facilitate birth because it causes contractions to become more regular or intense to move the labor along.
- Reflex balls – great for mama to hold on to or to put pressure on lower back.
- Rolling Pin
- Rebozo – A Rebozo is traditionally a Mexican shawl, used for many purposes, including carrying babies, as well as being used to help support women during the birthing process. Traditionally Midwives, Mothers and Doulas around the world use the Rebozo to wrap around the pregnant mother in a way that serves as a support to her during labour.
- Gum – for whoever needs it! As a doula you should always have nice breath!!
- Toothbrush and toothpaste – I have a few different toothbrushes, one for mama, one for myself and one for anyone else who might need it.
- Hair elastics and brush
- Chap stick
- Bendy Straws – seriously, these are my most used items, LOL.
- Peppermint Essential Oil – This is nice added to a cool washcloth during pushing. It has a very refreshing scent that can re-energize the whole room.
- Rescue Remedy – helps to alleviate stress, fear and anxiety during labour.
- Labour Ease Tea (Earth Mama Angel Baby)
- Camera and batteries – and extra batteries
- Pen and paper
Extra items if attending a home birth or a waterbirth:
- Birth pool and liner
- Air pump
- Hose to fill pool
- Drain pump and hose
Each birth is completely unique and requires something different from me, sometimes I go through all the items in my bag and then other times I hardly use anything!! Either way, as long as mama has my full attention and compassion, we find ways to work through her labour.